Jehovah-Shalom: The Lord Send Peace
Jesus! whose blood so freely stream'd
- To satisfy the law's demand;
- By Thee from guilt and wrath redeem'd,
- Before the Father's face I stand.
- To reconcile offending man,
- Make Justice drop her angry rod;
- What creature could have form'd the plan,
- Or who fulfil it but a God?
- No drop remains of all the curse,
- For wretches who deserved the whole;
- No arrows dipt in wrath to pierce
- The guilty, but returning soul.
- Peace by such means so dearly bought,
- What rebel could have hoped to see?
- Peace by his injured Sovereign wrought,
- His Sovereign fasten'd to a tree.
- Now, Lord, Thy feeble worm prepare!
- For strife with earth and hell begins;
- Conform and gird me for the war;
- They hate the soul that hates his sins.
- Let them in horrid league agree!
- They may assault, they may distress;
- But cannot quench Thy love to me,
- Nor rob me of the Lord my peace.