Friday, February 11, 2011

Invocation for Justice


I will go in the name of God,
In likeness of deer, in likeness of horse,
In likeness of serpent, in likeness of king,
Stronger am I than all persons.

The hand of God keeping me,
The love of Christ in my veins,
The strong Spirit bathing me,
The Three shielding and aiding me,
The Three shielding and aiding me;
The hand of Spirit bathing me,
The Three each step aiding me.

Ancient Celtic prayer collected by Alexander Carmichael (1832-1912), published in Carmina Gadelica (Edinburgh: Floris Books, 1992). These are prayers, hymns, and incantations collected in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland in the 18th century.

graphic: entrance to Dublin Castle. The scales of justice on right and Clock Tower on left. Since the statue of Justice is facing inwards towards the Castle citizens of Dublin joked that 'Justice had turned her back on the city'.

No comments: