Thursday, March 6, 2014

the Penitential Psalms (1)

 There are seven psalms that are particularly expressive of repentance and  remorse of sin. They are known as the  Penitential or  Confessional Psalms.  These are Psalms 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, and 143   The name Penitential Psalm was  originally associated  the fifty-first Psalm  which was used in the morning office.  Around four hundred four Psalms were identified as penitentials by Augustine of Hippo. Traditionally they are often associated with Lent.







PSALM  6

O Lord, rebuke me not in thy anger,
nor chasten me in thy wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled.
My soul also is sorely troubled.
But thou, O Lord -- how long?
Turn, O Lord, save my life;
deliver me for the sake of thy steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of thee;
in Sheol who can give thee praise?
I am weary with my moaning;
every night I flood my bed with tears;
I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eye wastes away because of grief,
it grows weak because of all my foes.
Depart from me, all you workers of evil;
for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;
the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be ashamed and sorely troubled;
they shall turn back, and be put to shame in a moment.

No comments: