Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Longing of the Heart

“There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator,... ” Plaise Pascal



This month along with the usual fair our focus is on the longing of the human heart for the divine. This yearning is found in all cultures, creeds and faith traditions. Some of the best art whether it be music, film or story is centered in this quest for meaning,  this yearning for the divine presence. I have gathered a selection of readings, quotes, poetry and song lyrics from a wide variety of faith and non faith traditions, the intention being to underscore the universal longing of the human heart for the divine presence.

I hope you find these entrees encouraging, challenging and reflective.I'd also like  to add that regardless of our own particular tradition if our hearts are open we can always be learning something from the other and add to what i believe to be a very important conversation. deep peace, enjoy.

  As the hart pants after the water brooks, so pants my soul after you, O God.
 Ps 42:1

 We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey. 
 Pierre Teilhard  de Chardin

Something is missing in my heart tonight
That has made my eyes so soft
And my voice so tender
And my need of God so absolutely clear.

Hafiz

No comments: